Wednesday 1 August 2012

Walking for Heritage in Digbeth

This will become a series of posts based on a walk that I did recently, which follows a route devised by Thinktank and some young Birmingham citizens. It is called Walking for Heritage and takes the walker around parts of Digbeth that are not usually explored, with a view to showcasing the industrial past of the City. When I walked the route I stopped at extra locations and took photographs; I shall give these their own blog post under the same umbrella heading as it is all interesting! The walk took me about an hour and a half – I kept stopping – and is mostly on footpaths (there is a stretch along the canal, but the towpath is paved) so it is suitable for all users. Digbeth is very much still a hub of activity! Be aware of cars, buses, lorries and forklift trucks.

The route can be viewed here on Google Maps. Leaflets are due to be produced soon, but if you go to the Thinktank blog you can view a .pdf of the route.


The Starting Place – Thinktank at Millenium Point.
Currently obscured by fences due to the construction of the Eastside City Park, Millenium Point is the starting location for this walk. The walk has a route, and is ‘circular’, so you can walk it either way. I started at the start and followed the route, but I expect it’ll be equally as good if done in reverse.

image taken from the Thinktank blog



No comments:

Post a Comment